WHAT IS BIOKINETICS?
Bio + Kinetics literally means Life + Movement.
So in essence, it is the use of therapeutic exercises in a rehabilitative setting for health promotion, performance enhancement and maintenance of physical abilities. A Biokineticist will treat disease, injury and movevement disorders.
It can further be divided into:
- Orthopaedic Rehabilitation – where the goal would be to strengthen the relevant muscles to protect the joints. Biokinetics would make up the final phase in the rehabilitive process. Although 'Pre' as well as 'post' operative sessions have been shown to be highly beneficial in the recovery process.
- Chronic Disease Management – Prescription and monitoring of exercises for chronic diseases such as Parkinsons, Cerebral Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke, High Blood Pressure, Arthritis, Type 2 Diabetes and Depression to name a few.
- General Wellness – Lifestyle and stress management, including weight loss and management.Biokinetics is recognised by and registered with the HPCSA (Health Professions Council of South Africa) as a specialized exercise therapy.
Emma Griffith completed her undergraduate and honours degree in Biokinetics at NMMU (Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University) in Port Elizabeth. After completing her internship at the University Biokinetics Centre and its affiliated centres she then spent the next 4 years in London where she continued her studies by completing an internationally recognised Diploma in Remedial & Sports Massage Therapy under the renowned Mel Cash, while still working in the field of sporting injuries, specialising in gait analysis and correction (including shoe prescription and making sport specific orthotics).
Emma has always had a keen interest in all things sport related. She does however have a special interest in Running Related Injuries. Using her vast knowledge of the gait cycle she is able to identify problem causing issues, ranging from muscles imbalances to core weakness to the simple matter of incorrect footware. Aided by Dartfish Video Software, an indepth report with all the relevant findings is compiled, with advice and program prescription to address all identified issues.
- Improves posture – by having a focus on increasing overall core strength
- Weight Loss and Weight Management
- Muscle Strength and Endurance
- Body Maintenance – Prevent back/joint pain
- Injury Prevention or a Decreased risk of an actual injury occuring - This is achieved by focusing on strength development, flexibility, postural awareness & biomechanics.
- Improves Psychological Well Being – Exercise has been shown to make you feel better, sleep better, increase confidence and self esteem, as well as decrease stress. It can also boost energy levels.
- Combats Health Conditions and Diseases such as High BP, High Cholestrol, Stroke, Type 2 Diabetes, Depression, Arthritis and helps prevent falls.